Cute little owls are relatively new trend to decorate cakes. Here is a quick tutorial on how I made this guy on your right.
Gumpaste: brown, yellow, white, baby blue and pink.
Alcohol or pipping gel ( to glue )
Tip #12 ( to cut out small part of the eyes)
Bow silicone mold ( to make your life easier, got mine from amazon)
Some nice, relaxing background music
1.First dust your mat with the cornstarch, roll out the brown gumpaste and cut out a big oval for the body, two medium ones for the wings and two very small ones for the ears. For the ears I used the base of a tip and made them oval by cutting again with the same round tip but just about half of the diameter as you can see in the picture. If the wings still to large you can make them smaller by cutting them like in the picture. Using the bottom of the tip make half a circle marks to resemble the feathers.
2. Using white gumpaste cut out two medium/small ovals for the BIG eyes, make sure they both fit on the body oval. Cut out two blue little circles using the top of the round tip, put them together and king of roll them out one way only to make the oval. For the brown part of the eye you can either roll out a little brown ball and press it down or use a mini tear drop cutter. Now it is time to assemble the eyes to the body.
3. Glue the ears using alcohol (it drys faster than the pipping gel), next glue the white ovals to make the eyes, then the blue ovals the tiny brown balls and the very tiny white dots to give more character to this cute owl. Place the wings where you think they look best and in this case the wings covered part of the eyes so I marked them with the cutter I used for the eyes and take the excess off not on top of the figurine but on the side and glue them up.
4. For the beak you need a a very small piece of yellow, shape it into a triangle and glue it down.
For the feet you need more yellow make a little rope and cut it in half and glue them to the bottom of the owl, make some indentations with a tooth pick or a knife.
5. For the bow you can use a silicone mold, grab a piece of gumpaste whatever color you want the bow to be, knit it and fill up the mold pressing the gumpaste down. with a knife cut out the excess starting from the middle out and then the other side, flip the mold down and pop the bow out. Glue it with alcohol and TaDah!!!
6. Now that your owl is done put it in a paper plate with some cornstarch on the bottom to dry and make sure to put it away before your kids can reach it and eat it.